Trump Unveils New Nomination

President Donald Trump has selected longtime defense official and military veteran Jules “Jay” Hurst III to serve as the Pentagon’s full-time comptroller, placing a trusted national security adviser in charge of overseeing America’s massive defense budget during a time of rising global tensions.

The nomination, announced in a congressional notification Wednesday, would make Hurst the first Senate-confirmed chief financial officer at the Department of Defense since President Trump returned to office in January 2025.

Hurst has been leading the role on an interim basis since August 2025, overseeing the Pentagon’s massive $1.5 trillion budget request for fiscal year 2027. The proposal also contains a $350 billion reconciliation plan aimed at boosting military preparedness, advancing next-generation defense initiatives, and upgrading America’s combat capabilities.

The nomination comes as the Trump administration pushes for faster military modernization amid growing concerns about threats from Iran, China, and instability across the Middle East.

Earlier this year, Hurst backed the administration’s move to include key defense initiatives in the reconciliation bill, saying the approach allows the Pentagon to respond more rapidly and adapt funding to urgent national security priorities.

“We included many high-priority programs in reconciliation for a number of important reasons,” Hurst said during remarks to reporters in April.

According to Hurst, mandatory funding authority allows the Defense Department to spend money more efficiently and respond faster to rapidly changing military technology.

Defense officials have especially emphasized emerging systems tied to missile defense, autonomous warfare, and next-generation battlefield technology. Hurst specifically pointed to projects such as the “Golden Dome” missile defense initiative and the Defense Autonomous Warfare Group (DAWG) as areas where quick funding decisions are critical to maintaining America’s military edge.

He also warned that Pentagon officials may need to revisit portions of the defense budget with Congress and the White House if lawmakers fail to approve the reconciliation package.

Hurst brings extensive combat and leadership experience to the position. A former Army intelligence officer, he completed four deployments to Afghanistan during his military career.

He previously served as assistant secretary of defense for manpower and reserve affairs and later became acting undersecretary of defense for personnel and readiness.

Before joining the Pentagon leadership team, Hurst worked closely with House Speaker Mike Johnson as a senior legislative and defense adviser, helping shape Republican national security priorities on Capitol Hill.

In recent months, Hurst has updated members of Congress on the rising financial burden tied to U.S. military operations involving Iran. He recently said the overall cost has climbed to nearly $29 billion, compared to a previous estimate of $25 billion released earlier this year.

The updated figure includes operational expenses, equipment replacement costs, and military readiness expenditures tied to ongoing regional operations. However, Hurst noted that the estimate still does not include potential repair costs for American air bases located throughout the Middle East.

With global conflicts escalating and defense spending once again becoming a major issue in Washington, Hurst’s nomination is expected to draw significant attention from lawmakers as the Senate prepares for confirmation hearings in the coming weeks.