Trump Team Announces New Ban

Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth announced a stunning security move on Wednesday: Chinese nationals will no longer be allowed to work on Pentagon cloud systems.

The decision ends a risky program, reportedly modeled after Microsoft, that had permitted foreign nationals from China to serve as so-called “digital escorts” inside America’s most sensitive defense networks.

“America First” Approach to Cybersecurity

Hegseth called the arrangement a shocking lapse in judgment.

“If you’re thinking America First and common sense, this never should have been allowed,” Hegseth said in a video posted to X. “So the use of Chinese nationals in DoD cloud environments—it’s over.”

He confirmed that Microsoft will be required to conduct a full audit at zero cost to taxpayers to determine if Chinese engineers left behind hidden backdoors, malware, or code that could expose U.S. defense systems.

Pentagon Cracks Down on Risky Contracts

Going forward, all defense contractors will have to prove that no Chinese nationals are working on U.S. defense systems. Hegseth said this should be common sense:

“It blows my mind that I even have to say this. We expect vendors working with the Pentagon to put American national security above corporate profits.

Microsoft Responds to the Scandal

Microsoft issued a statement confirming it had already terminated China-based engineering teams from DoD projects. The company pledged to work closely with the U.S. government to “deliver the most secure services possible” and adjust security protocols as needed.

Officials Admit They Were Kept in the Dark

What has alarmed many is that Pentagon officials say they weren’t even told about this program. One defense spokesperson told ProPublica:

“Literally no one seems to know anything about this. It’s shocking.”

Whistleblowers said the so-called “escort” system operated on an honor code, without real safeguards—leaving America dangerously vulnerable to cyberattacks from Beijing.

Multiple Investigations Underway

Hegseth confirmed that two major probes are now moving forward:

  1. A Microsoft audit of the digital escort program and code submissions from Chinese nationals.
  2. A Pentagon-led investigation into possible malware or security risks hidden inside Defense Department systems.

“We’ve issued a formal letter of concern to Microsoft,” Hegseth said. “Now we’re going to find out whether anything dangerous was planted into our systems without our knowledge.”

Protecting America from China’s Cyber Threat

The Defense Secretary emphasized that national security—not profit—must come first.

By banning Chinese nationals from working on U.S. military cloud systems, Hegseth said the Pentagon is sending a loud and clear message: the days of looking the other way on foreign influence in America’s defense networks are over.