Republican Urges Trump To Finish The Job
Pressure is growing on President Donald Trump to take a tougher approach toward Iran as top Republicans warn that weakness now could create bigger dangers later.
On Friday, Roger Wicker, chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee, publicly called on President Trump to intensify efforts against Iran and avoid entering into what he described as a dangerous and unreliable agreement with the regime in Tehran.
Wicker argued that this moment could become one of the defining tests of Trump’s presidency, especially on foreign policy and national security.
“This could become one of the defining moments of President Trump’s legacy,” Wicker said Friday. He also cautioned that some advisers appear to be pushing the president toward an agreement with Iran that may not adequately safeguard U.S. interests.
The senator strongly urged Trump to allow the U.S. military to continue targeting Iran’s military capabilities and to secure critical shipping lanes in the Middle East, including the Strait of Hormuz — one of the world’s most important oil transit routes.
According to Wicker, continuing negotiations with Iran’s Islamist leadership could send the wrong message to America’s enemies around the globe.
He argued that showing hesitation now risks projecting weakness at a time when strength and deterrence are needed most.
The comments come as President Trump continues balancing diplomatic talks with repeated warnings that military action remains on the table if Iran refuses to cooperate.
Since the ceasefire reached earlier this year, tensions between the United States and Iran have remained high. Both sides have exchanged proposals through intermediaries, but uncertainty continues to surround whether a long-term agreement is even possible.
Meanwhile, Secretary of State Marco Rubio confirmed Friday that discussions involving Iran are still ongoing.
Speaking to reporters, Rubio said the administration is waiting for additional responses from Tehran regarding a potential peace framework aimed at reducing conflict across the Middle East.
Rubio acknowledged there has been “a little bit of movement” in the talks, though he stopped short of suggesting that a breakthrough is close.
Behind the scenes, President Trump also reportedly convened a major national security meeting Friday morning with several top administration officials.
According to reports, Pete Hegseth, John Ratcliffe, JD Vance, and Susie Wiles were all there as the administration reviewed the rapidly developing situation.
Many conservatives have argued for years that Iran cannot be trusted to honor long-term agreements and that maintaining maximum pressure is the only effective strategy to prevent future threats.
Supporters of President Trump say his administration’s tougher posture has already restored American credibility overseas and sent a clear warning to hostile regimes that the United States will not back down when national security is at stake.






