Democrats Order Trump To Remove National Guard From DC, Should He?

Democrats Try To Get Revenge On Trump

Rep. Joyce Beatty, D-Ohio, has launched another legal effort to prevent President Donald Trump’s name from returning to the Kennedy Center, asking a federal judge to intervene before the center moves ahead with its latest plans.

Beatty filed an emergency motion seeking to block the Kennedy Center from placing Trump’s name back on the building’s facade and from naming the surrounding grounds “President Donald J. Trump Plaza.”

The legal showdown marks the latest chapter in an increasingly contentious battle over the future of one of Washington, D.C.’s most famous cultural institutions.

Democrat Asks Judge to Block Trump Tribute

Beatty submitted the emergency request to U.S. District Judge Christopher Cooper, who previously ruled that the Kennedy Center’s board could not independently change the institution’s legal name or turn the building into a memorial honoring another individual without congressional authorization.

The new dispute began after the Kennedy Center Board of Trustees voted Aug. 13 to approve another plan recognizing Trump.

Instead of officially altering the Kennedy Center’s legal name, the board voted 20-3 to approve a facade inscription recognizing Trump’s role in the facility’s restoration and renovation.

Under the proposal, the facade would read:

The inscription would identify the venue as “The John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts” while stating that its restoration and renovation were carried out under President Donald J. Trump.

The board also approved a provision allowing another inscription referring to the “Trump Kennedy Center Fund” if the renovation fund reaches $100 million.

Meanwhile, the surrounding grounds would be renamed “President Donald J. Trump Plaza.”

Kennedy Center Battle Returns to Federal Court

The distinction between formally renaming the Kennedy Center and simply recognizing Trump for overseeing its renovation could prove critical.

The institution would officially remain the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts.

Beatty, however, argues that putting Trump’s name on the facade and naming the grounds after him still violates federal law and Cooper’s earlier ruling.

Her attorneys contend that the board is attempting to accomplish through different wording what the court already prevented it from doing through a formal name change.

That argument is now back before Cooper.

Judge Previously Ruled Congress Has Final Authority

The Kennedy Center was established by Congress in 1964 as a living memorial to President John F. Kennedy, who was assassinated the previous year.

That history played an important role in the earlier court fight.

Cooper concluded in May that Congress established the Kennedy Center’s name and that the board could not simply change it on its own.

The ruling forced Trump’s name to be removed from the building facade as well as Kennedy Center signage and official materials.

The administration subsequently told the court that the disputed signage had been removed by June 12.

But that did not end the controversy.

Trump’s Name Could Return Under New Plan

The Kennedy Center board has now adopted a different strategy.

Instead of changing the official name of the institution, trustees want to recognize Trump for his role in the planned restoration and renovation of the landmark.

Supporters of the proposal can argue there is an important difference between renaming the Kennedy Center and placing an inscription on the building recognizing the president responsible for overseeing its renovation.

Beatty’s legal team says that distinction is not enough.

Her emergency motion asks the judge to stop the Trump inscription from returning while the court determines whether the new proposal complies with federal law.

The Kennedy Center previously informed the court that it would not attempt to restore Trump’s name to the building before Sept. 8, giving the parties time to make their legal arguments.

Beatty nevertheless wants Cooper to act sooner.

Trump Pushes Major Kennedy Center Renovation

The controversy extends beyond Trump’s name.

Trump has argued that the Kennedy Center needs extensive repairs and modernization, and its board has pursued plans for a major renovation of the facility.

The board also voted to close the Kennedy Center for two years while renovation work is completed.

That proposal has generated a separate legal fight.

Beatty previously challenged both the effort to rename the institution and plans for the extended shutdown.

Cooper’s May ruling blocked the earlier renaming effort while also stopping the proposed two-year closure.

The board’s latest vote has put both issues back into the national spotlight.

Battle Raises Larger Question Over Presidential Authority

The case could ultimately come down to a relatively straightforward question with significant implications: How much authority does the Kennedy Center board have over a national institution whose identity was established by Congress?

Beatty argues congressional approval is required before Trump can receive the proposed recognition on the building and its grounds.

The board’s latest approach, however, does not technically replace John F. Kennedy’s name.

Instead, it preserves the Kennedy Center’s official identity while adding language recognizing Trump for restoration and renovation work.

That difference could become central as the case moves forward.

Trump Name Remains Covered For Now

For the moment, visitors will not see Trump’s name restored to the Kennedy Center facade.

The area where the president’s name previously appeared remains covered as the legal dispute continues.

Beatty is asking the federal court to prevent the board from moving forward with both the new inscription and “President Donald J. Trump Plaza” until the underlying legal questions are settled.

The Kennedy Center had not publicly responded to Beatty’s latest emergency filing as of Friday.

With the board seeking to recognize Trump and Beatty determined to stop it, the fight over one of Washington’s most recognizable landmarks appears far from finished.

The next major development could come from Cooper, who must decide whether the board’s revised plan is meaningfully different from the proposal he previously blocked — or another attempt to put Trump’s name back on the Kennedy Center without approval from Congress.