Former Leader’s Family Celebrates as Trump Intervenes in “Unfair” Prosecution
Trump Announces Stunning Pardon Plan
President Donald Trump stunned political observers on Friday by announcing he plans to pardon former Honduran President Juan Orlando Hernández, who has been serving a 45-year sentence in a U.S. federal prison.
In a message posted to Truth Social, Trump said that people he deeply respects believe Hernández was “treated very harshly and unfairly.”
Trump’s statement immediately reshaped the political conversation across Latin America — and inside Washington.
Hernández’s Conviction and Imprisonment
Hernández was convicted in 2024 in a U.S. court for drug-trafficking and weapons charges related to cocaine shipments moving toward the United States.
The former Honduran leader has maintained his innocence and continues to fight the conviction while being held at USP Hazelton in West Virginia.
His arrest in 2022 — just months after leaving office — resulted in a dramatic extradition that captured global attention.
Emotional Scenes in Honduras After Trump’s Announcement
Within minutes of Trump’s message, Hernández’s wife and children gathered outside their home in Tegucigalpa, kneeling in prayer and thanking God for what they called a miracle.
His wife said the family had just informed Hernández of the news:
“His voice broke with emotion. He could hardly believe it.”
She praised Trump for correcting an injustice, claiming that the prosecution was fueled by drug traffickers and radical left-wing interests determined to punish Hernández for his anti-crime policies.
Legal Team: Trump “Righted a Great Injustice”
Hernández’s attorney, Renato C. Stabile, expressed deep gratitude:
“A great injustice has been righted. We are so hopeful for the future partnership between the United States and Honduras. Thank you, President Trump.”
Another attorney declined comment but confirmed the family remains hopeful that Hernández could return home in the coming days.
Trump Throws Support Behind Conservative Candidate Tito Asfura
Trump’s announcement came within a broader message endorsing Nasry ‘Tito’ Asfura, the conservative National Party candidate in Honduras’ upcoming election.
Asfura, 67, previously served as mayor of Tegucigalpa and has pledged to fix the nation’s infrastructure, strengthen the economy, and rebuild trust with the United States.
Trump warned that if Honduras elects a left-wing leader, the country could “face catastrophic results,” comparing it to the collapse seen in Venezuela under Nicolás Maduro.
Other major candidates include:
- Rixi Moncada, a socialist-leaning former finance and defense secretary
- Salvador Nasralla, a well-known TV host running under the Liberal Party
Trump’s Larger Strategy in Latin America
This move aligns with Trump’s broader pressure campaign against authoritarian socialist regimes.
Under his leadership, the United States has:
- Expanded military presence in the Caribbean
- Conducted strikes against suspected drug-smuggling operations
- Increased intelligence pressure on Venezuela
- Maintained strict expectations for regional partners
Outgoing Honduran President Xiomara Castro, despite her leftist background, has kept pragmatic ties with the Trump administration, cooperating on deportations, extraditions, and security operations.
Meanwhile, Argentine President Javier Milei — one of Trump’s strongest foreign allies — publicly endorsed Asfura, calling him the best hope to stop “leftist tyrants” from further damaging Honduras.






