Nation Skips Major 2026 Event After U.S. Blocks Delegation
In a move that is already sending shockwaves through the international soccer world, Iran has officially announced it will boycott the 2026 World Cup draw next week in Washington, D.C. The decision comes after the United States denied visas to members of Iran’s delegation—another international flashpoint triggered by America’s stricter security posture under President Donald Trump.
Iran’s state-run IRNA news agency confirmed that the country’s soccer officials would not attend the event, claiming the visa denials were influenced by “non-sports factors.” The Iranian federation said it contacted FIFA for help, but so far the organization has not resolved the issue.
Travel Ban at the Center of the Dispute
The background is simple: Earlier this year, the Trump administration implemented a national security–focused travel ban on citizens from 12 high-risk nations, including Iran. The policy was created to protect American citizens—especially as the U.S. prepares to host the largest World Cup in history.
Haiti, also on the list, was recently granted participation access after qualifying for the tournament. But Iran claims the exemptions for athletes and officials do not clearly apply to preliminary events like the tournament draw at the Kennedy Center.
For Iran, it was enough to walk away completely.
Powerful Iranian Soccer Leader Blocked From Entering the U.S.
The delegation was expected to be led by Mehdi Taj, Iran’s top soccer executive and a high-ranking official in Asian football. Taj also sits on two major FIFA committees responsible for global competitions.
His absence highlights how seriously Iran views the diplomatic standoff—and how firmly the U.S. is enforcing Trump-era national security protocols.
North America Prepares for the Biggest World Cup Ever
The 2026 World Cup will be historic.
A record 48 teams will compete across the United States, Canada, and Mexico from June 11 to July 19, 2026. The championship match will take place at MetLife Stadium in New Jersey, while the opening game will be held at Mexico City’s legendary Estadio Azteca.
Matches will also be hosted in major American cities, including the Boston area—though even that is now uncertain.
Trump Issues Major Warning: Boston Could Lose Its Games
During an exchange with reporters alongside Argentine President Javier Milei, President Trump made headlines by warning that Boston could lose its World Cup matches if local leaders fail to maintain safe, secure conditions.
Trump said he respects the people of Boston but criticized the city’s leadership, calling it far-left and ineffective.
“If I feel there are unsafe conditions, I would call Gianni, the head of FIFA… and say, ‘Let’s move it,’” Trump said. “He wouldn’t love to do it, but he’d do it. Very easily.”
Boston is currently scheduled to host seven major matches, including five group-stage games and a key July 9 quarterfinal. That could change quickly if the city continues facing safety and crime concerns—a growing issue in several Democrat-run areas nationwide.
A Major Global Event Overshadowed by Security Issues
Instead of focusing on the excitement of a historic World Cup on North American soil, international soccer now finds itself entangled in geopolitical tensions, border security concerns, and the ripple effects of Trump’s tough national-security policies.
Iran’s boycott is the latest reminder that the world is watching how the United States enforces its rules—especially under leadership that prioritizes safety, sovereignty, and secure borders.






