Is Trump's New AG Todd Blanche Doing A Great Job?

Trump’s Pentagon Planning New Firing?

The Pentagon is shaking up the leadership of Stars and Stripes, moving Friday to dismiss three prominent employees at the longtime military newspaper as the Trump administration pushes for major changes in how the publication operates.

Editor-in-Chief Erik Slavin, Publisher Max Lederer and Middle East reporter Lara Korte received separation notices from the Pentagon, according to multiple reports.

The dramatic personnel changes come amid a growing dispute over the mission of Stars and Stripes, a taxpayer-supported publication that covers the U.S. military while operating under federal protections designed to preserve its editorial independence.

For Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth and the Trump administration, the broader goal has been clear: refocus the publication on America’s warfighters and military readiness.

Critics, however, argue that recent Pentagon actions could threaten the newspaper’s traditional independence.

Pentagon Cites Insubordination

Slavin said he was accused of insubordination following comments he made during a July appearance on CBS Sunday Morning.

During the interview, Slavin defended the newspaper’s ability to report independently and argued against potential Pentagon censorship of news delivered to American service members.

Slavin said he continues to support the principle that Stars and Stripes should maintain the editorial independence provided under federal law and Pentagon policy.

Korte, who has covered the conflict involving Iran, said she also received notice that she was being dismissed for insubordination.

She attributed the decision to comments she made during the same CBS report, where she emphasized that her responsibility as a journalist was to cover the military community rather than work on behalf of Pentagon officials or political leaders.

The dispute highlights a larger question facing the historic publication: How much control should Pentagon leadership exercise over a newspaper partially supported by taxpayer dollars?

Longtime Publisher Also Heading Out

Lederer has served as publisher of Stars and Stripes since 2007 and has spent decades with the organization.

Before Friday’s development, he had already announced plans to retire on Sept. 30.

Lederer reportedly told employees that his philosophy regarding the newspaper’s leadership and mission had developed fundamental differences with the direction Pentagon officials want to pursue.

His departure represents another significant change for an organization that has reported on America’s armed forces for generations.

Trump Pentagon Wants Warfighter-Focused Coverage

The controversy stretches back months.

Chief Pentagon spokesman Sean Parnell announced earlier this year that the administration wanted Stars and Stripes to return its attention to the issues most directly affecting America’s military personnel.

That includes greater emphasis on warfighting, weapons systems, physical fitness, military readiness, survivability and other defense-related subjects.

The administration has also criticized coverage it considers a distraction from the military’s primary mission.

That approach could resonate with conservatives who believe taxpayer-supported institutions should concentrate on their core responsibilities instead of becoming consumed by Washington politics or ideological debates.

But because Congress has established protections for the newspaper’s editorial independence, the Pentagon’s efforts also raise important legal and constitutional questions about where legitimate management ends and improper editorial interference begins.

New Pentagon Official Calls for Modernization

Another major change came with the arrival of Navy Capt. William Urban, an active-duty public affairs officer who was recently appointed military deputy to the publisher.

Urban published an open letter Friday saying Pentagon leaders had assured him that Stars and Stripes would retain its editorial independence.

At the same time, he argued that the organization needs to modernize.

That could mean a greater focus on digital journalism as younger service members increasingly receive news through smartphones, websites and other online platforms rather than traditional newspapers.

Modernizing the publication could help Stars and Stripes reach more troops while potentially reducing its reliance on an older print-based model.

Senate Democrats Demand Answers

Democrats in Congress are already challenging the Pentagon over the changes.

Sens. Richard Blumenthal of Connecticut, Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts and Jeanne Shaheen of New Hampshire sent Hegseth a letter questioning the decision to place an active-duty public affairs officer in a senior position at the newspaper.

The three senators, who serve on the Senate Armed Services Committee, argued that the appointment raises concerns about whether the publication can remain sufficiently independent from the Pentagon officials it covers.

They asked Hegseth to provide additional information by Aug. 28.

Previous Pentagon Firing Sparked Lawsuit

Friday’s developments are only the latest chapter in the battle over Stars and Stripes.

In April, the Pentagon dismissed Jacqueline Smith, who served as the newspaper’s ombudsman.

The congressionally established position was intended to help protect the publication’s journalistic independence.

Smith later filed a lawsuit against the War Department, alleging that her removal violated her First Amendment rights.

The lawsuit means the disagreement over the newspaper’s future is playing out not only inside the Pentagon and on Capitol Hill, but also in federal court.

Press Group Condemns Pentagon’s Decision

The National Press Club strongly criticized the latest personnel actions.

The organization argued that dismissing newsroom leaders after they publicly defended editorial independence could have serious consequences for journalists covering America’s military.

Supporters of the Pentagon’s overhaul are likely to see the situation differently.

The federal government helps finance Stars and Stripes, and the Trump administration has made clear that it believes the publication should concentrate heavily on the troops, military readiness and America’s national defense mission.

That creates an unusual balancing act.

Unlike a privately owned newspaper, Stars and Stripes receives substantial government support. Yet unlike a traditional government public affairs operation, Congress has given it protections intended to keep its journalism independent.

What Happens Next?

The battle now centers on where that line should be drawn.

Pentagon leaders want a modernized publication focused more directly on America’s warfighters. Journalists and press organizations want assurances that military officials will not dictate how the newsroom covers the government it is responsible for reporting on.

Those goals do not necessarily have to conflict, but the latest dismissals are certain to intensify the debate.

With senior leadership changing, congressional Democrats demanding answers and a related lawsuit already underway, the future of Stars and Stripes could become an increasingly important test of how the Trump administration balances Pentagon accountability, taxpayer interests and an independent military press.

For America’s service members, veterans and military families, the outcome could determine what one of the nation’s most historic military newspapers looks like for years to come.